Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Drive To Remember, 240GLT!

Hi guys. It has been a while since I last 'seriously' blogging about 240. Let me share something on my recent driving experience of another 240. I was on a trip for 3 days last week where I got a privileged to drive a 240GLT with B230E engine for the whole 3 days. Thanks to the owner, En Zahrin who kindly lend me the car during my stay there.


For the benefit of all, 240GLT in Malaysia is a non-turbo model. This models was named with GLT to be 'sport' model of 240. This model equipped with full accessories such as electric side mirror, all sort of gauges (engine oil pressure, fuel consumption, voltmeter), and I beleive some differences on the interior color (offered for Malaysia market that time). This has been always a misconception that GLT stands for Turbo, while that is not the case for Malaysian market. The engine remain the same, the B230E for either 240GL, GLT, SE, or even SE Classic.

the engine oil gauge is not working, wire detached from sensor...

Generally the car is well-kept. The body looks nice even with minor rust here and there (which is reasonable of its' age & location near sea shore). A body repainting or touch-up will do. However, on the first start and drive, I notice some lacking. The idling rpm was too low that the engine trumbles quite hard (the steering & dashboard also vibrates). I do not noticed this on my 240. After a day drive, I noticed this low rpm symptom occurs even when the engine had been warmed up and operating under hot sun! I also noticed some misfiring and pick-up was quite lagging.

nice interior huh...

With tight schedule, I only got the time to look into it on my last day! Before my afternoon drive, I did a very simple tweaks for the low idling rpm. I did this based on my readings and other Volvo club member's experience as I do not own/drive one with injection engine. I switched off the air-cond, and start to play around with the idling speed screw (see image). A little bit of adjustment only! This screw is meant to adjust idling speed/rpm. It is not a 'tuning' screw; meaning that it won't change the air/fuel mixture ratio at all. I successfully got the right rpm (see image) and got the engine to run smoothly. Even crank-up is faster, idling speed is more stable, and the best thing is no more steering & dashboard vibrating during traffic light stops. I suggest this link for more reading on this problem.

i gained 800rpm idling speed without air-cond and close to 900rpm when air-cond switched on


the idling speed adjustment screw

As for the misfiring, I notices some water collected at the spark plug cable boots. I really have no idea of where the waters came from, but beleived that is the culprit. Later on the day I did sent it for a car wash where I borrowed their high pressure air-gun and dry off the plug cable's boot. It also solved the misfiring! However I do beleive that the cables may need to be changed :)

we called it 'Snow Car Wash' in Malaysia :)

How do I solve the pickup problem? Very simple! I dropped by a petrol station, inflate the tyre according to the pressure specification written on the petroll refill cap cover. Straight away after that, I felt the pickup is back! And I cannot deny that the car was fast!

The owner complaint that his family did not want to drive the car because of high fuel consumption. Driving for the first three days, I have to admit that the car fuel consumption was indeed really high! Of course as per compared to my caburated 240. Good that the car equipped with fuel consumption meter. After the simple tweak done (on the idling rpm), I can noticably see from the meter that the fuel consumption started to dropped from previous as I drive around. The below pictures indicated the fuel consumption while at idling rpm which is around 800rpm. I am not sure if that is the idle fuel consumption of an idling engine because I don't have that gauge in my machine; but I thought that is good enough.

gauges at idling

After all, it is really a pleasure for a chance of driving a 240 back, after months of not driving it! Good day all :)

16 comments:

VolvoForLife said...

Hmm, interesting, pre-'88 models never had that crusted instrument gauges, the RPM, Speedo, Fuel and engine temp often crusted, like yours Zhafri, I wonder why. Mine doesn't, except for that stupid Speedo that one idiot mechanic changed the whole thing instead of just the odometer gear, I still hold grudge to that person, I'll make him suffer if I find that bloody fool.

Anonymous said...

Hi Zafri, I'm a 240 enthusiast from Selangor. I own a 240, 85 w/ carb (Pierburg). Just to ask, since you've had a go in both injected and carbureted models, is there a difference in;

1. smoothness
2. fuel economy
3. power

between the 2 variants?

Not to forget, mine's a 2.3l.


Regards,

Joan Petersson

Anonymous said...

Sorry, not to forget, if there's a difference, please elaborate on the degree of difference.

Look forward to hearing from you.


Regards,

Joan Petersson

Anonymous said...

Sorry, not to forget, if there's a difference, please elaborate on the degree of difference.

Look forward to hearing from you.


Regards,

Joan Petersson

Ahmad Zhafri Ahmad Zahir said...

Hi Joan,

Thanks for your visit; really appreciate it.. frankly speaking, I just encountered a Solex carb (mine) model & K-Jet injections... so will do comparison between them...

1. in term of smoothness, the K-Jet is smoother..of course given that it in perfect cond. there's less lag when you press the pedal (about 10% perhaps)... but, majority of K-Jet i found is not that smooth anymore of various reasons, the most popular one is vacuum leaks (this model is very sensitive of vacuum leaks)

2. fuel economy?? hurmm for me this is always depends on the driver (car cond, driving style, tyre pressure, maintnance, etc)... as per compared with my solex, the solex saves more, again i assume around 10-20%... and again also maybe the injection models i drove got problem..eheheh...

3. power... more or less the same... however for solex carb (eng B230K), the compression rate is higher thus i got hi torque on low rpm... the injecion (B230E) is vice versa.. not so powerful when in low rpm (below 2k rpm) but regain power in high rpm....

just my 2 cents.... thanks again joan

Anonymous said...

Hi Zhafri,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

1. Yes, I'm aware of the vacuum leaks that K Jets overreact to, which can cause a lot of problems, and it's a pretty tedious task for most mechanics to solve. I personally know a friend in KL who had a 240 SE, 1993 with injection, and he was bogged down with starting issues, random stalling when the air con is switched on; amongst a few to name; that he got rid of his car! Regarding Solex carburetors, I heard that they are are also reactive to vacuum leaks, although I only heard so from secondary sources.

2 & 3. Here I'm surprised but not again! Well injections were used for their gains in economy and power but looks like it lost out. I guess injection systems in the early 90s were at a low stage of development, hence couldn't take on the well developed carbs at the time.

Hearing you out, I guess I should stay happy with my carbureted car. She's never failed me.


Regards,

Joan Petersson

Ahmad Zhafri Ahmad Zahir said...

Joan,

Yes, Solex also sensitive to vacuum leaks, but there's less vacuum lines on the model compared to injection..

Yes, the Pieburg is the MOST RELIABLE 240 i have ever heard... very very very less problem on the carb and engine itself, all mechanical and easy to work on...

Even the Solex is a 'carburetor', but you can see wires running to it with sensors and so on... For reliability ad maintenance wise, Pieburg is better; straight forward carby!

Good day Joan :)

goooooood girl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Trevor said...

Hi everyone,

I am interested in getting a 240.

I still cant decide to go for carb or EFI.

I need an auto one.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Trev

Ahmad Zhafri Ahmad Zahir said...

Trevor,

I believe the above discussions explain its all for either carby or injection model. Personally for me both are OK with almost the same reliability. Up to you, why don't u test drive them and decide.

The condition of the car is also important. A good carby is better than any unmaintained injection.

Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Salam and hello to u...im Amir and i drive a 244GL 1979 model...hope we can share some info and tips on maintaining the car...

Ahmad Zhafri Ahmad Zahir said...

Hi Amir,

Thanks for dropping by. No problem, I'll help in things I could help. Good Day!

Anonymous said...

dear bro...just bought the 3 center gauge....nway need sum technical advice..how to install the oil px gauge,do i need to get a different kinda oil px sensor...and the vacuum or so called fuel economy gauge,how does it works? Amir volvo 244GL

Ahmad Zhafri Ahmad Zahir said...

amir,

yes, you need different oil pressure sensor (with two socket/pin)

for the fuel economy gauge, i heard ppl attached to any vacuum routes in the engine bay.. honestly not so sure..

Anonymous said...

thanx the info bro...so where can i get the oil px sensor with 2 pins? nway just overhouled my solex/zenith 175CD carb....D.I.Y
..heheheh...and went up to genting twice and back to kuantan with a cruising speed around 130-150 kmh...WITH LESS FUEL CONSUMPTION...quite amazing mannn...but before that i had spend around
rm4000 to replace most of worn components..now the car works well..for a 28 years old car,im just happy with it

Unknown said...

Hai zhafri..klu sya nk call zhafri bole x..rsa mcm nk menuntut ilmu 240 nie..bab enjin..bkn nk wat niaga..xma ilmu tambahan utk keta sendiri...zhafri bole call saya klu nk..mohd 012 298 1905